Supporting the Black community is important to Redapt.“Fighting for marginalized groups has always been important to us,” says Co-Founder David Cantu. From the ongoing support of Seattle’s Year Up—a nonprofit that helps young adults overcome the opportunity divide—to participating in minority mentorship programs within the local community, Redapt is invested in taking action.
As the push for justice and equality continues, we are thinking about what it means to be an ally of the Black community within the tech sphere. Here what being an ally means to Redapt:
- An ally listens carefully and respectfully to a diversity of marginalized voices. Allies listen to as many voices as possible tell their stories to reach a place of understanding and empathy.
- An ally learns about racial oppression in the United States. Allies read widely and extensively, seeking out resources and alternate viewpoints on topics of inequality, diversity, and privilege.
- Allies do. Think of the word “ally” as a verb. An ally speaks up and supports, amplifying the voices of the oppressed above their own. Through concerted action, allies engage systems of administration and other people of privilege.
“Being an ally is an ongoing process, and everybody has had the experience of needing an ally. If I were to define an ally, I would say that an ally is any person who supports or stands up for another person or group. Throughout my tech career, I have had allies who provided mentorship, friendship, and support. Mentorship and support are reciprocal--they enable colleagues to connect across career levels and cultural differences, sharing and learning from one another. Whatever the circumstances, we probably have a greater capacity to be effective allies within the tech community more than we realize. Each person needs to know they matter, and I can attest from experience that friendship is one of the most powerful tools we have to communicate that. In our busy day-to-day lives, we can be advocates to those who need an ally.”
-Jason Morgan, Director of Technology & Information Systems of Redapt
- Allies apologize for the mistakes they make along the way. Mistakes will happen—what is essential is taking ownership of our mistakes and working diligently toward resolutions.
Being an ally is hard work. Making meaningful changes to oppressive systems is both challenging and necessary. Redapt is committed to learning new ways to become a better ally of the Black community.
Wondering how you can take action to become a better ally, too?
Here are a few resources to help you:
- Black Lives Matter Foundation is an organization in the US, UK, and Canada with a mission to eradicate systemic racism, to end violence against Black communities, and to center and affirm Black joy.
- The NAACP’s mission is to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.
- Greenpeace USA’s toolkit to defend Black lives.
- The Seattle Public Library’s toolkit for anti-racism allies.
- GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change.
Justice for George Floyd
Justice for Breonna Taylor
Justice for George Barnhill
Justice of Regis Korchinski-Paquet
Justice for Kendrick Johnson
Organizations seeking donations:
Act with the ACLU to end police brutality, demand racial justice, and defend our right to protest. Your donation will fuel our legal battles and urgent advocacy efforts.
Minnesota Freedom Fund
An organization that pays criminal bails and immigration bond for those who can't afford to as we seek to end discriminatory, coercive, and oppressive jailing. It has encouraged people to donate to local Black and BIPOC-led organizations like the two above and to George Floyd’s family.
Black Live Matter Global Network
Find your local chapter
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
The NAACP's legal organization fighting social justice.
Keep up with Redapt
- Data & Analytics
- Enterprise Infrastructure
- Cloud Adoption
- Application Modernization
- Dell EMC
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Multi-Cloud Operations
- Workplace Modernization
- Security & Governance
- Tech We Like
- Microsoft Azure
- IoT and Edge
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- SUSE Rancher
- Azure Security
- CloudHealth by VMware
- Social Good
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
- Hybrid Cloud
- Customer Lifecycle
- Machine Learning (ML)
- cloud health